Monday, January 25, 2010

Bald Eagle: National Emblem of the United States

Bald Eagle in Yellowstone National Park
SOLD
8" x 6" (20.3 cm X 15.2 cm) acrylic on gesso primed board
For email postings of my work click below or send email to Paul

To see my gallery of past work click HERE 


This is my view the Bald Eagle we saw in West Yellowstone in September. He was sitting in a tree on the north side of the road as we were driving to the west exit of Yellowstone. I got a couple of good shots and the next morning when we were heading back into the park there were two eagles in the tree nearer the road. I couldn’t get a good shot because of they were partly obscured by branches of the trees but I did get a good view of the head of the older eagle.

Since then I’ve been doing some study of the anatomy of the eagle so I’d have a good idea what I was seeing. Working from the photos I took and my sketches of eagle anatomy, this painting is a close-up interpretation of what I saw. Here I’ve tried to capture the regal and powerful qualities of this magnificent bird, the national emblem of the United States and while the Bald Eagle is unique to North America, eagles have been a symbol of power for thousands of years.

© Copyright 2010 by Paul Wolber
All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

Bonnie Heather said...

Amazing. What beautiful work.