Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Old Barn Door

5” x 7” (12.7cm x 17.8cm) acrylic on gessoed Masonite®.
unframed with free shipping in USA.
SOLD
To see all my past postings click HERE.

The proverbial “Barn Door” is, of course, the door that is closed too late after the horse has escaped or after the damage has been done. This barn door is one I found on an Illinois farm and the wood was so weathered and worn that I wanted to do a painting. After I began the painting, I realized the slot for the door latch had fallen away and all that remained were the two holes where it had been fastened, making it the proverbial barn door that could not be locked.

In modern day life not much has changed. We often still seem to function this way, when we try to solve problems after the damage has been done. This could be an idiom for a lot of things in our world today.
© Copyright by Paul Wolber

No comments: