Monday, May 7, 2007

Wild Violets


5” x 7” (12.7cm x 17.8cm) acrylic on gessoed Masonite®
SOLD
To see all my past postings click HERE.

This is the third and last painting in the wildflower series. The violets bloomed after the dandelion came up but still in time for Mothers Day. I wanted to contrast the purple color of the violets with the yellows and greens in the leaves and stems. That makes this composition a yellow/purple contrast with red/green secondary contrast.
This painting took more time then I anticipated since my tubes of Brilliant Purple and Medium Magenta were not longer usable so it required a trip to the art supply store. There was no way I could mix those brilliant colors from scratch. Then my camera had a hard time seeing the colors I had painted so I needed to take a lot of photos and adjust the lighting to come close to the actual colors. Those vivid purples are hard to duplicate. I’m ready for a break.

No comments: