Monday, May 30, 2016

White Throated Sparrow

 
                          "White Throated Sparrow"
                        (click image to see more detail)
 5” x 7” (12.7 cm x 17.8 cm) original acrylic on hand primed board $145 w/free shipping in US & Canada 
To see past work in my dailypainters gallery click HERE.



While I’m not always a fan of sparrows, this white throated sparrow is an attractive bird. A group of them have been around my bird feeder recently. Apparently in Michigan we live right at the bottom of their winter breeding grounds that stretches all across north Canada. They are pretty birds, mostly feeding on the ground under my goldfinch feeder but they also like black oil sunflower seeds and will come right up to my window feeder. At first glance they might be mistaken for the white crowned sparrow except they have a bright white throat with black whisker edges and a yellow lores (space between the eyes and beak). I chose to do this painting to capture their beautiful markings.

They also have a unique birdsong that is a distinctive wavering long whistle that I’ve heard both in winter and spring.

© Copyright 2016 by Paul Wolber
All Rights Reserved