Friday, April 20, 2007

Watermelon Wedges: First draft


I just started a new painting, again using a colored ground, but this time a red ground to enhance the color of the watermelon.

5in. x 7in. (12.7cm x 17.8cm ) acrylic on gessoed Masonite®
SOLD
To see all my past postings click HERE.

It’s always exciting to see the lively colors popping out, so I thought I would share this with those of you who watch my blog. Last time several people thought the painting was finished right away, but if you see it “in the flesh” you would know it needs more work. If you are truly an expressionist by nature, you will probably want me to stop now and not finish what I intended. This is the fun of watching a painting develop. The colors will actually tame down as I continue. The trick is to stop before I go too far and lose the excitement of the work.
You can see the red ground coming through in a lot of places so this is what gives it that wild, expressive look at this point.

No comments: