Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Beauty of Aging: Composition with Barn Door


7” x 5” (17.8cm x 12.7cm) acrylic on gessoed board
unframed with free shipping in USA.
SOLD
To see all my past postings click HERE.

Weathered wood on seems to get more beautiful as it ages. I suppose this gives hope to all of us. On first glance this door is securely locked, but a closer look will reveal the padlock is not fastened giving us access to enter if we wish. Imagine yourself entering and exploring all the wonderful antiques stored here.

The vertical and horizontal planes in this composition attracted me and reminded me of Piet Mondrian's compositions. Even though you may not recognize this as an abstract painting, Mondrian was right in his contention that shifting a line or a shape a fraction one way or another can balance or unbalance the composition. I worked carefully for some time to get the highlights just right to balance the horizontal and vertical movement, so from my artist's eye this was an abstract design.

© Copyright by Paul Wolber

No comments: